Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A partial amputation....

warning: this might make you sick

On Monday night, soon after Jared got home from work we were sitting on the couch talking and the girls were playing. Madeline kind of shut her fingers in the door (just slowly as she was closing it) so she was sitting on Jared's lap and I was doing her hair for a princess party we were all going to in an hour. Suddenly the door to the girls room closed and Rachel started screaming. Her finger was stuck in the door! Jared and I rushed over to her, got the door opened and ran her to the bathroom. Her right index finger was barely attached- gross I know-. I ran the girls to the neighbors house and we rushed Rachel to the E.R.

We were able to cut in line, but were still at the E.R. for about 3 hours. Rachel did really good and was actually able to fall asleep (they hadn't even given her pain killer). They took x-rays and the tip of her bone was shaved off a little bit. She received 5 stitches to re-attach the finger then they bandaged it with a lot of padding so she wouldn't injure it again.

On Tuesday morning we went to an orthopedic surgeon and had him look at her finger to make sure she didn't need surgery. Luckily he gave us good news and said it "looked great". I don't think those would have been my words, but at least he thought that :) We'll go back in a week for a follow up and maybe to take out the stitches.


Wow! What an experience! I'm just happy that Jared was here and that it wasn't worse--- she didn't have to have surgery. The doctor said that her finger should be able to recover fine. I'm thankful to have a hospital close and friends to help take care of the other kids. Let's stay away from the hospital until it's time for this next baby to come!!

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ah man! I really wanted to see a before picture! ;) jk... I'm glad Rachel's okay and that her finger is WELL padded. How scary!

C.B. said...

That is scary! I am glad it turned out ok.

Anonymous said...

oh poor rachel! :( I hope her finger gets better you guys are in our prayer!

Emily said...

I've been meaning to call you to check on her. I'm SOOO glad she'll be okay.

Brittany said...

Wow, what an ordeal! What a little trooper! Glad to see she's doing better.

Keith and Jessie said...

Poor little girl give her a kiss for us.

The Hungry Homemaker said...

That is one of those things I can't stomach. It is my biggest fear that one of my kids will do it, then I will pass out. Whenever I hear a door slam I cringe because I imagine someones finger is in it! I am glad you guys handled it well, and that Rachel is doing good!

Jana said...

Poor Rachel! And poor you and Jared - I think watching your child be in pain can be just as bad for parents. It'll will be a good story for her to tell later on, though!

Missy08 said...

wow that is scary poor girl I hope she is doing much better

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

Childhood injuries are the worst. I am so glad you were both there for her and each other. Isn't it amazing how much better kids handle things like this than we do. I definitely couldn't have fallen asleep with my finger hanging off. What a sweetheart. I wish her a quick recovery. Glad you guys are staying.
Kerry

Anonymous said...

I my gosh! I'm so glad she's ok! It's been fun catchign up on your blog-it's been awhile! Heather

ashley said...

hey, i feel your pain on that one my 4 year old did the same thing her finger got closed in the door at school, and her finger was partial amputation also she had to have surgery and put the finger back on there