Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Partially Home From the Hospital

I'm (Jen) home from the hospital! Amaya and I came home this morning. I wish I could say that Aliza is home as well, but she is still there. They said today that it will be 24 to 48 hours until she can come home. Tonight was her 6th night in the hospital. Not fun.

I wanted to tell a little more about the labor and delivery from my perspective. I started having contractions that were 7-8 minutes apart at 2:00 am on Monday morning. I stayed up for a little bit to make sure I was having c0ntractions and then went back to bed but my contractions were 10 minutes apart. It was nice because I would sleep for 9 minutes, wake up for the strong contraction, and then go back to sleep for 9 more minutes. I can handle that kind of labor.

At 4:30 I had a really strong contraction so I decided to call Jared at the hospital. They always say you should go in when contractions are 5 minutes apart, and I didn't want to get sent home, so I was skeptical of going in, but Jared wanted me to, and honestly I didn't really want to have to suffer through the contractions on my own. So I went in.

Yes, I drove myself, but the hospital is less than 10 minutes, so I figured I'd leave right after a contraction and get there in time for another one to start. Well, I had at least 2 contractions on the way there, so I was glad Jared had encouraged me to come in.

From that point on Jared told the story how I would tell it. One thing I did not like was that the nurse sent Jared to take a shower since he had been with Aliza. Showers are good things, but I wanted him with me since the contractions were coming closer. Good thing he wasn't gone for long... the baby came about 30 minutes later :)


I would say that this was my best labor and delivery. There was really only 30 minutes of continuous intense pain. I can handle spread out pain. I'm glad I wasn't planning on an epidural because I wouldn't have been able to get one :) I am also glad that I had nurses who listened to my warnings of progressing really fast after I am dilated to a 5. The thing I'm most glad about is that Amaya is finally here and that she's healthy!

Just a litte bit about Amaya's name. Amaya is pronounced A-my-a (not a-may-a), and Clarissa is one of Jared's ancestors. We didn't tell anyone (except our kids) her name until she was born, which was fun for us, but probably not for you...


I am very thankful Amaya and I are home now, but I feel very sad because Aliza and Jared are not here with us. Thursday (tomorrow) is mine and Jared's 5th wedding anniversary and the best present I could have for that would be for all of us to be together again. So please say your prayers for Aliza that she can return home. Thanks for all of your love and support.

9 comments:

Jbird08 said...

I am so glad you were able to go home. What history for Amaya to have about her birth.

Elizabeth said...

I think that's funny that the nurse made Jared take a shower! Good thing he was quick! Your family's in our prayers! Hope you have a great anniversary and that Aliza gets to come home! I still can't believe I couldn't get Madeline to tell me her sister's name! Your girls are just as good at keeping secrets as you are! ;) Love you!

C.B. said...

Such a beautiful girl!

How stressful to not have them home! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Melissa said...

I'm glad you and the baby are doing well. We will continue to pray for Aliza and I hope she can come home very soon. love you!

Brittany said...

Happy Anniversary! It's a bummer that Aliza's sick. What a great story to remember.

Missy08 said...

wow congrats she is beautiful

Jana said...

Happy anniversary! I hope you were able to be together as a family. I think it's fun that you kept the name to yourselves; I'm so impressed that the little girls didn't tell anyone! I love family names :)

Bon said...

She is beautiful Jen and we will be keeping your other little one in our prayers as well! Love the name too! It is beautiful!

Alice H said...

Congratulations!!! This is Alice Hansen - Kurt and I are both so happy for you. I love her name too. Time sure flies by - it seems like yesterday that you were in Kansas City!