Friday, February 8, 2008

Washington D.C. Trip



Last week I went to D.C. for a work trip. It was good to meet all the big bosses of my agency. One of my bosses said of BYU where he goes recruiting, "It's a nice place, but I can't find anywhere to buy a cup of coffee." Isn't that the truth. Some other highlights of the week for me was going to the Wizards vs Raptors game in the Verizon Center and seeing Anthony Parker hitting a wild 3-point to tie the game for overtime. I also met up with my friend Tony Roane and we went to see the Jazz beat the Wizards by 9. The funny thing about the game was the large amount of Jazz fans in the cheap nose-bleed section. I estimate about 50% of the $10 seat section were Jazz fans, while the rest of the building was full of Wizards fans. Why are the Jazz fans so cheap? Great question. One of those fans I knew from high school named Sarah Adams, although she now has a new last name.




Another night I went out to eat with Tammy and Mitchell Anderson. I worked with Tammy at my internship in D.C. back in 2004. They paid for my meal even though I had a daily per diem that was large enough for the whole week. That was fun.

I went to the gym twice and played lots of basketball, like the old days. I played with a guy that played for Georgetown which was special, and at the drinking fountain between games he complimented me of my hustle and hard work, but failed to mention my game (I wonder if there is a reason for that, Ha). My name in the gym was "Boise" and they kept telling me how great a game the Fiesta Bowl was last year. The first day I played I wore glasses and a 6'8 large black man threatening to smash them into my face if I tried to steal it from him again. Very funny. I wore contacts the next time I showed up.

The lesson of the week was don't eat the food in the hotel room. There was complimentary food in the lobby, so I thought I could eat the the snickers and other snacks in the room. Well, after I ate them, I read the prices. Three dollars for a snickers, eight dollars for the gummy bears, etc. Somehow, I was charged 19.50 for the "free" food for the week. Oops.

I like D.C., but I was definitely happy to be back with my family in Idaho. It's not fun to be away from them.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Jared it was good seeing you at the game and hanging out a bit.