Thursday, September 18, 2008

Canning Applesauce



Last week- a full week ago! My friend Emily called and asked if I wanted to go to the church orchard to pick apples and then can them. What a fun idea! I've never canned applesauce before so I thought it would be a great experience.

It was really fun spending all that time with Emily. Our kids are pretty much the same age, so my kids had a great 2 full days playing at Daisy and Grace's house. It was nice to spend two full days with an adult :)

Actually canning was also fun. It was both of our first times canning applesauce, but I think after we figured out how to do it it went great. I think by the end of both days we were super tired- I know I was- but it felt great to bring home 23 quarts of applesauce. Jared was doing the math and lets just say it was a little disappointing how little we saved by canning our own apples. Even though I had fun, I think I'll just stick to buying applesauce in the grocery store. :)

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That does look like fun! Too bad you weren't able to save much money though. I really love homemade applesauce. I prefer it warm and chunky. YUMM!

canihavethisdance said...

The applesauce looks great! I'm glad that you had a good time doing that with your friend.
I also love homemade chunky applesauce. I remember doing applesauce with Sis. Satterfield when we lived in Idaho. It was fun spending the day together and really nice to have it to eat all winter!

Alissa said...

it's worth it for the taste. I canned peaches with my mom and I know it was entirely more expensive to can them than it would to buy canned peaches in the store but the taste is completely worth it. I'm glad you had fun! And I"m glad you finally updated your blog! I've looked at it every day in anticipation! :)

Emily said...

Jen,
Thanks for putting up with me for 2 full days! I really had a great time! It was just what I needed. You are the best! Thank you!!

Melissa said...

WOW!! You are amazing. I've never had homemade applesauce. I'll have to try that one of these days.