Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Is it a weed or not a weed... that is the question


Yesterday I was outside trying to weed my garden and I had the hardest time trying to tell what was a weed and what was the beginning of a plant. A couple weeks ago the wind blew down a lot of "helicopters" from the tree. I didn't think they would do any harm to the grass and just hoped they would eventually blow away. Yesterday as I was gardening though I realized the once cute little helicopters that can provide so much entertainment were now planting their seeds in my garden! I never knew that "helicopters" were tree seedlings. Hopefully some of you are surprised at this too... Jared said he's known that since he was 3... I'm not very experienced in the whole gardening thing, so I'm asking all of you if you have any advice for me or any websites you've found to help out in gardening? We do have peas and lettuce growing right now so I'm at least kind of successful :)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

sorry I'm not very good with gardening stuff either. I like the picture with you and alyssa. I love her flowers. I'm glad you guys were able to go. love ya!

Evelyn said...

I'm glad I found your blog too! I've been wondering what happened to you but had no idea how to get in touch with you. My sister-in-law lives in Nampa. Her name is Jaime Kingsley. I'm living in Roseville, CA. Its near Sacramento. Its where Todd (my husband) is from so this is where I moved when we got married. I'm working for a biotech company doing accounting. I wish I could be home but thats not in the cards right now so I just keep going to work. Your girls are so cute. 3 in 3 years... you must be tired. Kensington wears me out sometimes already and I'm just home with her for a few hours.

Unknown said...

I'm having the same problem. My next year's plan is to make "mounded rows" so that I can just take a hoe to the non-planted areas and hand weed the big weeds on the mounds until I can tell what isn't a weed. I think it is best to leave the area alone until the plants get a little bigger... I say this,but I still go out there on my hands and knees, picking-out obvious weeds...probably also little plants. oh well! I guess if you plant a ton of seeds that will make up for it?!