Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Visiting Some Idaho Potato Fields



For work I mostly sit in front of a computer screen all day forecasting or estimating agriculture numbers. I have no ag background, so sometimes I am confused at what everyone is talking about at work. But I'm learning and loving agriculture. After all, my grandpa was a farmer.

Well, one of my co-workers thought it would be a good idea for me to learn how to do a potato dig, where we randomly sample some fields and go dig out some potatoes to do a objective potato yield. Of course, we obtained permission from the operator and did some digging. Notice they made me wear plastic around my shoes so that my dirty shoes wouldn't contaminate the field. I can't tell you whose field this is or I get fined $250,000 and some jail time for breaking my confidentiality agreement.

It was a learning experience and it helped me understand more about the numbers I crunch.
(action photos taken by Brad Early)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

looks interesting....

canihavethisdance said...

looks like fun field trip.We are going to dig out our potatoes tomorrow. We won't have as many as this farmer but are excited abut the ones we will get.

Ruthi said...

I loved to see the potato fields of Idaho. What a memory flood that brought back! I remember going to our West Pocatello Stake farm and harvesting the giant potatoes in our bags. The memory was cold, wet and thankful for hot chocolate afterwards. So what is the most popular potato? Red, golden, or white? I love them all. My brother brought me some from Idaho just last week, fresh from the farm. Yummmmmmmmm.
Love, MOM