Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My College Football Loyalty Rankings

This is my top twenty favorite college football programs. One way to look at it was if a game was on TV, which game would I watch. It doesn't necessarily mean which team would I cheer for.
RankTeamComment
1.I've closely followed BYU all my life. I went to the game when BYU beat #1 Miami when I was 10 and I've been hooked ever since. Thanks Dad. Plus, BYU is where Jen and I went to school. Pretty much everyone good athlete from my high school went to BYU. Current player Wayne Latu was in my ward growing up.
2.You are suppose to hate your rival. But my dad went to Utah and I enjoy watching their football team. Other than BYU, the Utes are my most preferred football team to watch. Sorry to all those Ute haters. I'm a Kyle Whittingham fan and hope he succeeds, except against BYU of course.
3.I joined the band wagon when I moved here, which was before the Fiesta Bowl. I listen to Idaho Talk Radio which only talks about Boise State football, even during basketball season. Also, if I want to talk sports with co-workers, I better be up to date with the Broncos.
4.ASU is high on my list because I like the Phoenix metro. When I took the ACT, I sent my score to ASU as a potential school for me to attend. John Beck, Max Hall, Lee Cummard, Danny Ainge, Brooke White and Stephenie Meyer all come from this area, although all most went to BYU.
5.I proposed to Jen in Lincoln, so there are some memories. More importantly, if I didn't like the Corn huskers, I might get the wrath on the in-laws. I'd rather keep my in-laws happy and support Nebraska than get kicked out of the family. Plus they husk corn and I work in Agriculture.
6.Logan is a beautiful and peaceful city. It's the best of what Idaho and Utah has to offer, a perfect mix. If the Aggies ever start winning, I'll be happy. I actually felt bad when Riley Nielson announced he was transferring, since he seemed the hope for their future. Jen and I may live there someday.
7.I'm happy that UNLV represents the MWC well during the NCAA basketball tournament. With the fast growing Las Vegas metro, it's only a matter of time until UNLV will have a football team that's a contender. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
8.Exciting to watch. I like when you drive by Morgantown, you are in the middle of nowhere and suddenly you come upon a huge stadium. While I lived in D.C., many people poked fun of the people of West Virginia, like they are uneducated and hicks. I'm a fan of the underdog and it only made them more likeable to me.
9.It was fun seeing them beat USC last year. Stanford seems to be less resistant to sign players out of high school who plan to go on missions. The only two current Mormon NBA players went to Stanford (Mark Madsen & Casey Jacobson). Plus, Stanford was an area on my sister's mission.
10.I like watching Polynesians play football, probably because BYU football has about 20% Polynesians and it seems that they are so tough. I am still awaiting the Haka face off in pre-game when Hawaii and BYU play someday. That would be something I would pay to see.
11.It seems Tennessee is on TV all the time. I liked watching Erik Ainge last season. I still don't know why I like the Volunteers, but I do.
12.They are a neighboring state. I like the cowboy mentality of being independent and taking care of yourself with little government interference, and it seems like people of Wyoming have that mentality more than others, although they are mean to BYU fans.
13.Another school with potential of getting really big in football. This year I think they could beat both Arizona and Texas A&M. I enjoyed watching JR Giddens last basketball season.
14.I would vote to bring Fresno State back in the same conference as BYU. When they were, they were competitive and exciting. Plus their baseball team just won the national championship. I like the aggressiveness of there coach, scheduling many powerhouses in the same season, but so would I if I was in the top heavy WAC.
15.People in Boise follow Oregon sports so I too have followed Oregon a little bit.
16.They have Norm Chow. My Grandma went there along with Utah. If they ever start getting really good, they will drop off my list. Ben Olsen should be good this year.
17.I have to follow Vanderbilt because my fellow co-worker next to my cubicle went to Vanderbilt. Therefore, I make sure to see their scores on the scoreboard. I didn't even know they were in the SEC before two years ago.
18.I have two friends going to Texas Tech. They have an LDS coach. They are high scoring.
19.Before I liked football, I always wore a Michigan Wolverines sweater. Because of that, I turned into a fan. But over the years, it's worn off. Be careful mothers out there who buy clothes for there children. I really hope Utah takes down Michigan this year.
20.I like Dan Hawkins. His son is the starting quarterback and he is played high school football in Boise. If Colorado and BYU were in the same conference, it would be an intense rivalry.

8 comments:

Brett said...

Jared, you have so much more openness to other teams than I have. :) I've been enjoying myself just looking through your family's blog. You have a beautiful family. I hope that all is going well for you.

Brett Dowdle

Matt said...

You don't watch Notre Dame when they're on TV?

JPI said...

Sorry, Notre Dame didn't make the top twenty.

Danny and Michelle King said...

You forgot to include me on your list of people from the Phoenix Metro area in your ASU comments. I grew up a Sun Devils fan before going to BYU.

JPI said...

Danny, you know, I actually thought of that.

canihavethisdance said...

Looks like you are gearing up for the football season!
I'm glad that you included the Cornhuskers!! We would keep you even if you didn't support one of our favorite teams :)!

jen said...

This is Tony Roane's wife. I am so glad that WVU made your list!!! They are my favorite, even above my own BYU! (OK so I'm born and raised in Morgantown, which might have something to do with it?!) Should be a good year!!

matthew larson said...

Wyoming?! Really?! If I weren't thousands of miles away I'd give you the biggest wedgy of all time. Sometimes I worry you're too openminded. Geez Luiz!! The more I type the angrier I get. And for one known for your logic your reasoning for Wyoming isn't even logical! C'mon Pratt!! Actaully I'm not offended. I just wanted to spice this blog up a bit. Props to my house mammas!